Insurance Coverage Litigation
When the need arises, it may be difficult for you to understand the terms of your insurance coverage and whether you are entitled to benefits under the terms of your insurance policy. At Gavett, Datt & Barish, P.C., we represent businesses in Maryland, the District of Columbia, and Virginia, offering advice on the scope of insurance coverage, and, where necessary, representing businesses in their efforts to obtain insurance coverage.
Our attorneys are experienced in matters pertaining to many different types of coverage including:
- Commercial General Liability Insurance
- Special Multi-Peril Policies
- Business Automobile Policies
- Personal Automobile Policies
- Business Owners Property Policies
- Homeowner's and Condominium Insurance
- Professional Liability Insurance
- Agricultural Crop Insurance
- Workers Compensation and Employers' Liability Policies
- Life and Disability Insurance Policies
- Additional Insured Endorsements
- Contractual Liability Coverage
- CCIP (Contractor Controlled Insurance Program) and OCIP (Owner Controlled Insurance Program) Coverages
- Umbrella and Excess Liability Coverage
We have represented clients in declaratory judgment actions and other insurance coverage matters in both state and federal courts. We have also handled many complex and controversial insurance matters on behalf of our clients. The firm has handled many claims which were initially denied by an insurer, but after our attorneys have reviewed and carefully analyzed all the terms and conditions of the entire insurance policy, those preliminary determinations have been reversed in favor of our clients. Our attorneys are experienced not only in negotiating with insurance companies in order to obtain settlements to provide coverage, but also in aggressively litigating in the courtroom when settlement talks fail.
Although some firms have a philosophy that they will represent only either insurers or insureds in insurance coverage disputes, our firm does not believe there is a "right" and a "wrong" side. Instead, we objectively review the facts and circumstances of each particular situation and candidly advise our clients. We aggressively represent our clients in each individual matter, be they insurers, individual insureds, commercial insureds, agents or brokers. Our goal is to resolve insurance coverage disputes in the most cost- effective manner for the client. Our clients have expressed their appreciation for the breadth of our expertise and our objectivity and reasonableness, resulting in favorable results for our clients.